Monday, May 24, 2010

Scottsdale Unified dumps Everyday Mathematics. Cave Creek Unified should follow.

The Scottsdale Unified School District on Friday voted to dump Everyday Mathematics for its PreK-8 grades. Of the five finalists, Everyday Math finished dead last in SUSD's initial evaluations.

It is a travesty that Cave Creek Unified is now going into its 9th year with this train wreck of a program. Not only does this program not meet the current Arizona State math standards, but the version used by the district is considered deprecated by its publisher. Too bad as much effort the district puts into designing crests, picking uniforms, creating duplicate honors programs, and working on a virtual school for 30 students, has not been put into researching and implementing a rigorous and quality math program.









* Updated post with evaluation scores from SUSD's math adoption committee.

3 comments:

  1. I just confirmed with SUSD it wsa in the top 3. I have to say, just for me, that my child has done really really well with everyday math. No complaints from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm out of the district now. My kids are not having a problem with the regular math despite the em background. But, I can see where the program could be confusing for some children. Hence the disconnect from parents who are not at all bothered by it, and parents who are.

    I don't know if CCUSD has the resources for a curriculum change. From what I understand, in addition to the costs of the new materials, there is a big cost associated with retraining the teachers.

    Any ideas where the district can find the money? Legitimately please. Not from a pool that cannot be spent on soft capital (I think that is how curriculum has to be accounted for).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So where did all the 6th grade teachers from DAMS go? I heard Rodi is going to LMES, Brooks-Taylor to Desert Sun.. that none of the DAMS teachersare going to DWES.. Does anyone know about any of the other teachers?

    ReplyDelete

Anyone can comment but profane or defamatory comments will be removed.